Tool 5: Recognise red flags
Recognise your own and other’s red flags and see if you can respond with kindness when you see ‘red flags’.
Personal ‘red flags’ – negative self-thoughts:
- Why can’t I relax?
- I must never let people down…
- It’s up to me, I must be strong…
- I cannot stand this anymore…
- I wish I were somewhere else…
- Why don’t they just do it?
- What is the matter with me?
Bring kindness to yourself! What do I need right now? How would I treat my best friend?
Others’ ‘red flags’ – certain behaviours:
- Avoiding contact
- Cynical remarks
- Less creativity
- Continiously working over hours without extra output
- More sick leave
Try to realise that these behaviours are signs of stress, someone is not OK. What does the other person need? Can you ask? Listen – no need for advice!